Thursday, August 23, 2018

The Other Cuckoo


There are three species of cuckoo available in the USA. One is the Mangrove Cuckoo, which is found only in southern Florida. The other two occur here, but they are somewhat uncommon and quite secretive.

The Black-billed Cuckoo here on the farm earlier this summer

I was lucky enough to "get" the Black-billed Cuckoo, with photos, right here on the farm. Earlier I also managed to record the sound of a Yellow-billed Cuckoo down at Schoharie Crossing SHS, but had given up on photos of the latter. Only ever seen two or three in my life.


Then this morning I was looking for herons under the aqueduct at the crossing when I heard some chickadees. I looked up, and right over my head in a dead tree was a Yellow-billed Cuckoo preening and fluffing his feathers.

He showed no fear and obliged with lots of photos. And a short video. Yay!




from Northview Diary https://ift.tt/2BFjDJO

No comments:

Post a Comment