Sunday, April 10, 2016

Bali Bliss – The BaliSpirit Festival + Travel Necessities & Treasures

It’s been a mere few hours since touching my feet back down in Oslo, and already I’m missing the magic that is Bali. There is something about the island… something about its magic. You immediately feel it when you arrive: the people are spiritual (and oh, so kind), the nature is abundant and beautiful, the vibe is full of healing and self love. It is truly a magical, magical place.

I’m feeling very blessed to have made my second trip to Bali in the last 365 days. Last time, I was there for my Yoga Teacher training, this time, to experience the Bali Spirit Fest, and of course, reconnect. It may sound cliche, but if there is one place on this planet that you will feel that you are “coming home” to yourself, it is here.

So with that, I’ll jump into it – chatting about what I did, some highlights of my favourite foods and places to eat, as well as my favourite finds.

Screenshot Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset

Hanging out with the monkeys in Ubud.

First Stop: Royal Pita Maha, Ubud

After a few jet-lagged days in Seminyak, I made my way up to Ubud where I started off with an absolutely blissful few days at the Royal Pita Maha (thanks to some very good deals online). Tucked away 20 minutes outside of the “city,” amongst the jungle and overlooking the river, is this beautiful sanctuary of private villas and infinity pools. It took me a few days to let my nerves calm down and reconnect, and this place and space definitely helped with that process.

JPEG image-E297A1DD397F-1

The river pools outside Ubud at the Royal Pita Maha.

VSCO Cam-6

River gazing from my private pool at the Royal Pita Maha

BaliSpirit Festival 2016

The main reason I took this trip when I did was to attend the BaliSpirit Festival – an annual event that happens over the course of 5 days each spring in Ubud, Bali. You might recall LPN giving away a ticket in an Instagram post a few weeks back. It was an incredible experience – and to be quite honest – hard to describe. The goal of the BaliSpirit Festival is to “awaken and nourish each individual’s potential for positive change within,” and awaken it did.

I arrived feeling surrounded by “my people”. Spirit seekers, yogis, earth savers and plant eaters. It was an experience for all the senses and all the facets: mind, body and spirit.

VSCO Cam-7

The yoga barn pavilion had endless yoga classes for every “body” and every style of which you could dream.

I started off my first day at the festival with Richard Bock leading a class on Quantum Light Breath – an intense meditation that brings about some serious opening. Following a beautiful vegan lunch, I went onto take a class with Daphne Tse (and her amazing band) in Chakra Chanting, Toning and Sound Healing Meditation. 

JPEG image-EC676621D61F-1

Before starting the Breathwork Meditation with Richard Bock

JPEG image-35D8C6E6F82E-1

Daphne Tse leading us through the heart chakra toning.

VSCO Cam-4

Inside the tipi where I attended the Voice Activation & SoulFULL Singing circle

JPEG image-788CBE147993-1

The Chill Out area where there was a beautiful flower mandala

Poking Around Ubud

VSCO Cam-2

Flower dressed fountain at the Yoga Barn

JPEG image-0EF8FB9B205C-1

Poking around in the temples around central Ubud

JPEG image-65B39B5ED493-1

My favourite little bookshop – a magical little space filled with new and used books. You tend to find “just the book you need” when you walk in here and browse for some time. Go in without any expectations and walk out with life changing words. <3

My Bali Necessities & Treasures

In Ubud, I spent some time on the balcony staring at the beautiful water lilies and practicing yoga. Each morning I would spend some time meditating in this beautiful place.

I brought with me, my favourite light kimono robe which I got from Eco Diva Beauty (which is a One Love Organics and Plum Pretty Sugar Collaboration). This is the perfect and prettiest robe for the spring/summer months (and also my favourite little travel cover up).

JPEG image-417E50F70646-1

Flower gazing in Ubud

The gift set from Eco Diva Beauty contains

  • Plum Pretty Sugar Kimono Style Robe
  • On feather-soft indian cotton voile, this beauty is perfect for the sweet unwind or the bloom of getting ready
  • Plum Pretty Sugar + One Love Organics Tote Bag
  • One Love Organics Brand New Day Microderma Scrub and Masque (full size)

Shop the Plum Pretty Sugar and One Love Organics Mask on Eco Diva Beauty for $146 USD

While cruising around Ubud, I also fell in love with these earrings from Ananda Soul Creations. I previously fell in love with her stuff a few years ago (I own a pair of her earrings that were a gift from a dear friend, and a beautiful amethyst necklace, that you can see here). These earrings are called “Creating my Dreams” earrings and are so darn pretty. Check out some of her other creations on their site.

JPEG image-D460E73FD985-1

In previous posts I’ve talked about this awesome aloe vera gel – and you’ve probably also seen it on my Instagram. This stuff is brilliant for bug bites, sun burn, dry skin, and anti-aging. I love it, and don’t travel without it (at least never to sunny destinations).

JPEG image-92D34C22E9FE-1

Shop online at iHerb and get $5 off with code MEP206

Find the Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Gel for $4.60 USD on iHerb, and use code MEP206 on your next purchase to save $5 USD.

Then there is this perfect self-tanner (they have product that is great for all skin shades, just pick the one right for you). I used Coco Lite by Chocolate Sun, as this formulation is very gradual, meaning NO orange, stripes or uneven application risks. It took me about 1 shade darker in one application and when it was fading off you could not tell (I’ve had some terrible experiences with other natural self tanners – especially when they start to ware off).  This stuff is the best!

VSCO Cam-1-1

A proprietary blend of organically grown and wild crafted botanicals and herbs, chosen for their beneficial, nurturing and hydrating properties. This formulation also includes shea butter, coconut oil and aloe. My colour developed in 8 hours (and didn’t stain my sheets).

Shop online at Eco Diva Beauty for $54 CAD (also for US, just switch currency).

Then there is this glorious moisturizer / body highlighter from Prtty Peaushun. As seen on my Instagram, this skin tight body lotion is luxe in every sense of the word. It leaves the skin looking near flawless by improving  the condition of the skin whilst concealing minor imperfections and enhancing definition. I compare it to the RMS Luminizer for the legs/chest/arms and, well, pretty much anywhere.

Key ingredients include: arnica diminishes bruising and anti-inflammatory extracts of green tea which reduces UV damage and prevents collagen breakdown. Also includes high caffeine content (bye bye cellulite) and rosemary extract (to help stimulate new cell growth).

 

JPEG image-68D4657A1C16-1

Shop online at Eco Diva Beauty for $56 CAD (USD available too!)

Annmarie Gianni, one of my alltime favourite brands. You can see all my posts on her collection here, here and here. No sunny destination post is complete with out my favourite facial sunscreen — my Annmarie Gianni Sun Love. This stuff is a miracle worker both in protection and creating a flawless finish. It’s tinted sunscreen is an 18% zinc oxide formula (containing no harmful nanospheres) which provides light, everyday wear sun protection. The antioxidant herbs and oils also help neutralize the effects of damaging UV rays. Great for all skin types – simply shake and apply a thin layer before heading out.

VSCO Cam-2-1Shop this Sun Love online at Annmarie Skincare for $39.95 USD. 

Last time I was in Bali, I fell for this body oil from Cantika (the Ylang Ylang scent). I was running out and stocked up just before coming back (shop them in Ubud at the Earth Market) or check them out here online – they are super cheap, just around $6.50 USD.

Lovely body oils, scented just beautifully with essential oils.
JPEG image-12B675E717FF-1

Oh you’ve seen this one on my Snapchat several times (snap.kate) and for those of you that join me at Leela Yoga for yoga classes, you’ve probably smelled this roller ball from The Goddess Line in the scent Radha. An incredibly intoxicating blend of Organic Essential Oils Of Bulgarian Rose, Peach, Saffron, Cinnamon, Black Pepper, Jasmine and Sandalwood. Oh my Goddess I love it!! <3

The Goddess Line is a beautiful essential oil roller ball perfume blend line that is inspired by all the traits of the Goddesses – find your scent based on your nose, or the traits you wish to instill. All products are handmade in NYC.

VSCO Cam-5

If you’re based in Oslo, shop at Leela Yoga, or shop online at Amazon.com for $36.95 USD

Where to Eat & Drink in Ubud, Bali

There are so many amazing places and spaces to eat in Bali – especially in Ubud. A quick list of my favourites include:

Alchemy – juices, smoothies and raw foods galore, this is your go to for incredible raw food while in Ubud (well worth the walk).

La Pacha Mama – Awesome Mexican vegetarian restaurant found next to Alchemy (and owned by the same people), you’ll have some of the best Mexican food you’ve ever tasted. Get on with the incredible Guacamole and Gluten-free enchiladas.

Clear Cafe – I think I’ve eaten here more than any other restaurant in Ubud – known for its awesome vegan, vegetarian and raw foods, but also offering local favourites, cooked meals and minimal meat (some fish). I love their Green Hornet Smoothie and often ate their Kitcharee (Ayurvedic stew). Not far from Alchemy.

Bali Buddha – I didn’t actually eat in here, but rather had takeaway to the hotel. Awesome gluten-free options, raw options, juices and smoothies. I had a yummy gluten-free pizza, because, you know, cravings. ;)

Earth Cafe (formally Down to Earth Cafe) – Nestled upstairs form the grocery store (where you’ll find all the natural goodies and kombucha for your heart’s content) find a great plant-lover’s restaurant with great juices/smoothies raw and cooked fare. Try their half dragon bowl with some soup and a young fresh coconut for lunch.

LaRamona – for those that aren’t into the vegan/raw food scene, you MUST check out LaRamona Tapas bar. In this “hole in the wall” you’ll have your tastebuds dancing. Some of the best (and well priced) food in Ubud. A must!

Garden Kafe (at the Yoga Barn) – Full of raw food options, vegetarian, vegan and Ayurvedic, you’ll have everything here for a post yoga-class lunch. It’s a great place to hang out too.

JPEG image-5C84B93D6AB4-1

One of the “go to” raw food spaces in Ubud is Alchemy. They have the most incredible salad bar and raw food goodness to go (or stay). I picked up this probiotic rich Coconut Kefir after having to go on antibiotics.

Eat at The Yoga Barn’s Garden Kafe when you’re in Ubud – and get one of their awesome fresh pressed juices. This one is the Belly Juice with aloe vera, apple, and loads of turmeric.

JPEG image-D450E7C16B2A-1

Gluten-free & Vegan cardamom pancakes with caramelized bananas. Oh my Goddess, this was delish!! Find this dish at the Yoga Searcher Restaurant in Uluwatu. Do not miss their purple potato gnocchi or their Yogi Smoothie!

Uluwatu – A Little Paradise

This trip was my first time exploring Uluwatu. I am glad I did, and will plan to be back. Last time I spent time in Ubud, on the Gili Islands and in the North part of the island (also should not be missed), but the beaches and vibe in this surfer town were too awesome not to highlight.

Make sure to find yourself a room at the Yoga Searcher in Uluwatu and enjoy some of the best food, great yoga classes and some treatments at the Ayurvedic spa. Rent a scooter and take off to the temple, catch some beautiful ocean views, and make your way down the cliffs to some beautiful quiet beaches.

JPEG image-CC14619CFBC3-1

The views from the cliffs in Uluwatu – Balinese surfer paradise (actually, anyone’s paradise)

VSCO Cam-1

Saying goodbye to Uluwatu and The Yoga Searcher – amazing place to stay in Bali.

Snapchat Highlights: Add snap.kate

A few snaps from my Snapchat story for those of you who aren’t on Snapchat. If you are on snapchat, let’s connect there: snap.kate is my username. xx

IMG_1190

Temple hopping and pretty lights in Ubud

FullSizeRender 3

Shameless selfie, because, you know, the light. hehe

IMG_1319

Spirituality is everywhere in Ubud

IMG_1331

That yoga glow after a sweaty yoga flow <3

And a beautiful Sunday to you, my loves.

Bali blessings!

xx

K



from Living Pretty, Naturally http://ift.tt/1USkyZy

No comments:

Post a Comment