Sunday, August 14, 2016

Natural Wellness in Maui – LPN’s Top Healthy Picks

Summer was a pure blessing. If you followed me on Instagram, you probably saw a few posts of me bouncing around the globe. I started my journeys in Sri Lanka, then over to Maui, before heading to Vancouver and Whistler and back to Oslo.

kate living pretty naturally

This post is focusing on the Maui portion of my trip: my favourite natural and wellness finds, as well as vegetarian / vegan places to eat!  Oh, and a few snaps into my adventures with Tessa- one of my besties who is also a fellow yogini living on the island of Maui. Follow her on Instagram here.
DSC_0579

Where to Eat Healthy, Vegan & Vegetarian in Maui

I am fortunate to have had a yogi guide around the island — needless to say, her faves became mine pretty darn quickly. First stop:

Health Food Maui: Choice Health Bar

Dine-in or take-out, smoothies and fresh pressed juices, find on the menu awesome elixirs, Buddha bowls, and local brewed kombucha on tap. Some of my favourites?

The Buddha Bowl – pictured – quinoa, lentil soup, layered and topped with a kale salad

The Chronic Smoothie – fresh mint, hazelnuts, banana, coconut meat, greens, hemp, macadamia milk and cacao (wow!)

vegan maui

And the coconut kefir, which replenished my gut after getting pretty darn sick on my way out of Sri Lanka. I drank two jars of this during my 1 week stay, and loved the ginger lime flavour.

Find Choice Health Bar off of Honoapi’ilani Highway 30, on the mountain side.

health food maui

Gluten-Free on Maui – Maui Sugar Shop

Feeling like a little sweet taste post lunch, we headed over to the organic, local and gluten-free bakery, the Sugar Shop. Right near Old Lahaina Centre, you will find them with loads of yummy deserts and quick treats for everyone. Try the fresh muffins and doughnuts made with local passionfruit (lilikoi).

Processed with VSCO with f2 preset

Raw Food Restaurant: Maka by Mana Foods Maui

I had my life changed the first (of three times) I sat down at Maka by Mana Foods in Paia. I also ate this dish twice (but not in the same day – ha). This vegan, raw restaurant is owned by the healthfood store down the block, Mana Foods (pop down there for some awesome shopping – think of it as the island’s local Whole Foods).

Do not miss on the menu: open breakfast sandwich on waffle bread with house pesto and coconut cream cheese (pictured).

Also their salad mix plate that gives you 3 of their best salads including a Royal Coconut Slaw made with coconut noodles (yup) and kale. Yum!

vegan restaurant maui

Best Yoga in Maui: Island Spirit Yoga

The best yoga in Maui? Island Spirit Yoga, hands down. I spent a few days at the studio, with the beautiful and glowing owner Deborah, and my girl (and fellow yoga teacher) Tessa.

Classes not to miss (schedule here):

Core Power Yoga with Tessa
Vinyasa Flow with Julie
Restorative with Jenelle

Photo Cred. Maui Reviews

Photo Cred. Maui Reviews

kate living pretty naturally yoga


Natural Beauty in Maui

There is no shortage of natural beauty on this island – the people are glowing, and I can’t help but think it isn’t just the Vitamin D. What’s really going on? Could it be the coconut?

On my search for local natural beauty, I found Zenziva, a handcrafted in Maui youth serum using coconut oil as the base for its skin exlixir.

Pictured below is their U’i Oil, you can find them online here or on site at Goin’ Left (in Lahaina town) in Maui. 
natural skincare maui

Also at Goin’ Left was this awesome Monk Oil from Brooklyn NYC. Monk oil creates skin potions, and the one pictured here is the Palo Santo blend. In this jar is a beautiful healing blend of avocado oil, palo santo essential oil, vetiver essential oil, self heal flower essence and smoky quartz crystal. Use this as a beautiful healing blend and take your clearing palo santo with you for the day.

monk oil maui

Also find great natural skincare brands at Choice Health Bar (30 minutes from Lahaina town, Mana Foods (Paia) and many of the spas also carry natural goods).

Hope you enjoyed, babes. Any other additions that I should have made? Any other experiences you’ve had in Maui? Shoot a note below!

Mahalo, beauties!

X
K

 

The post Natural Wellness in Maui – LPN’s Top Healthy Picks appeared first on Living Pretty, Naturally.



from Living Pretty, Naturally http://ift.tt/2aSuQnK

No comments:

Post a Comment